Category: | Historic
The shed and two others are Grade two STAR listed by Heritage England
The sheds were built in 1917 for the Royal Flying Corps to train pilots to fight their machines (Top Gun School).
Between the wars they formed the first Liverpool Airport (1930 to 1933).
Anti submarine patrols to protect the Western Approaches (River Mersey) WW2.
Housed two jet fighter squadrons until Vauxhall Motors built the Ellesmere Port factory.
The sheds were designed to last between 5 and 10 years; but have just celebrated their centinary.
Year first entered 2018
blog comments powered by Disqus