A flight of steps in the corner of the garden led nowhere and this presented the best location for construction to begin. The pavilion sits next to an old apple tree, the bough of which rises above the apex of the roofline.
A combination of gothic and arts and crafts elements have been employed and the building has evolved rather than conformed to a rigid design, the result is a shed that resembles a Swiss mountain lodge, an English cricket pavilion, a tea house and a chapel. The property and garden comprise a myriad of architectural styles and the pavilion follows this vivid ad hoc theme. Many of the features have been purchased from markets: the door sign was a ships rudder; the gable supports are the legs off a rosewood davenport; the arch windows are from a church in Lithuania, the floorboards were in a Georgian terrace in Brighton and the turret leaded windows were from a 1930's house in Tolworth.
The interior is ply lined and insulated, the lighting is provided by a triple casino light.
The walls are clad in Scandinavian redwood log lap, the roof is tiled with Canadian cedar shingles and the detail work is in French oak.
An arts and crafts roof truss adds additional support to the roof and the rafters have been left exposed to illustrate the construction method. The bargeboard pattern has been recreated from a gothic revival house in Guilford and the fascia from a building in Croydon.
The rear gable benefits from a metal bulls eye window that beautifully captures the late afternoon sunshine.
The balustrade palings were reproduced from the Swiss cottage at Osbourne House, oak castellated newel posts, a Victorian door and an Indian lantern complement the overall vista.