Shed of the year 2024, Sponsored by Cuprinol, Sponsors Shed of the year
Front View of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire Front View before of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire Final touch of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire Final touch of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire  of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire Dismounting of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire Interior walls up of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire  of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire  of shed - Kian's Family Shed, Buckinghamshire
All photos are copyright sheddie Kamil

Kian's Family Shed

  • Surprise Me
    • Cost of shedbuild:

      £150 to £249

    Enter your shed

    Shed Features

    Right before Christmas, my neighbours gifted me a shed destined to be skipped. As I've just recently got an allotment, I thought it was a great opportunity to bring it back to life and have a place to hide from the rain. I am hugely influenced by the upcycle movement. I find it very inspirational to be able to rescue otherwise discarded objects, therefore, the primary idea was to rebuild it with rescued materials. First, I created the base for the shed from concrete slabs found on the plot. Apart from the slabs, I also discovered 4 timber logs which I used to increase the ceiling height and create a porch roof. Now I can stretch in there without banging my head on the ceiling. My workplace allowed me to dismount a few pallets, plywood boards and mdf boards, all of which were supposed to be trashed. The rescued pieces of wood from the pallets I used for the sides of the shed, roof, window frame and the door. The mdf boards turned out to be a brilliant material for the interior walls. Plywood worked very well as part of the roof and interior door panels.An allotment neighbour shared with me scaffold boards, from which I made a new floor and shelves. Each board is sanded down and brushed by hand. The shed originally did not have any windows. Lucky me, I got one on ebay for £16. The only hassle was driving to Cambridgeshire for collection as I do not own a car. It is a marvellous Georgian-style double glazed wooden frame window. All it needed was a deep clean, a bit of paint and true love. Ohh forgot to mention the decking. Lucky me again. I found it in the skip, cut it to the desired size, put it together and my sister gave it a touch of ash grey paint, making it look almost brand new. Once the roof was up, the real test of life came along- the 120m/h storm Eunice. The roof survived! Hurray!Now it was the time for a gutter. I tried to rescue one I spotted in the skip but couldn't get parts for it, so, I purchased a new one and installed it myself. Thanks to the homeless water butt found on the plot, now I collect rainwater for my blueberries. Yep! Blueberries thrive on rain water like nothing else. Most of the materials, including screws, were rescued/ up-cycled. The only cost I had to bare in the process was the paint, insulation foil, gutter and the felt. It took me around 3 months to complete it. I worked on it on average 4h each and every day before work. Covid-19 and heavy rain was the only time I was forced to pause. Winter is perhaps the worst time to work on a project like this, but despite all the weather odds, somehow I managed to complete it. There is no access to electricity in the plot, everything was crafted by hand with the help of a borrowed screwdriver and an old hand sow. I am more than pleased with it as I have never done anything like this before. The shed turned out to be a tiny house where a cup of tea accompanied by the sound of local birds and a regular visit by a bumblebee bring a sense of a place where all the worries vanish away.

    Enter for Shed of the year 2024

    View all entrants to Shed of the year


    Behind the Shed Newsletter

    Sign Up to Behind the shed newsletter here

    Thank you Sheddies

    If you like what we do, why not support readersheds and shedoftheyear


    Edit your Shed

    Need to add more photos or edit your text of your shed, then do it here.

    View all the other Shed of the year winners from 2007